Research Development strives to strengthen research and scholarship activities at FIU by offering an array of support services tailored to the identified needs of research faculty. For faculty interested in securing external funding, the staff identifies grant opportunities and assists with proposal preparation. To foster multidisciplinary collaboration and team science, the Office of Research and Economic Development stimulates professional interest areas and networking groups. A robust professional research development program, offered in partnership with FIU’s Faculty Mentoring Program, provides FIU faculty with the tools needed to hone their skills as researchers, and with guidance, that aligns their research efforts with their departments’ requirements for tenure and promotion. On-line resources are available to provide assistance to investigators at all stages of their research careers. To achieve these goals, Research Development provides the following services:
- Maintains a research calendar on the Office of Research and Economic Development website to advise faculty of research seminars, visits from funding agency officials, and other notable research-oriented events
- Publishes a monthly newsletter to inform the research community of new awards, funding opportunities, and updates from funding agencies
- Publishes a yearly Research Guide for Faculty New to FIU
- Collaborates with FIU’s colleges and the Faculty Mentor Program to offer professional development programming to assist research faculty in their efforts to secure tenure and promotion
- Encourages eligible faculty to establish mentoring relationships through the National Research Mentoring Network, a NIH initiative to enhance the training and career development of individuals from diverse backgrounds, communities, and cultures who are pursing research careers in biomedical and behavior research
- Collaborates with the Research Operations and External Partnerships staff to support interdisciplinary research and networking groups composed of faculty from across the University with similar research interests
- Promotes cross-college collaboration
- May provide small awards to jumpstart collaborative research projects
- Provides a large collection of grant writing materials to help researchers in the early stages of their research careers
- Through the generosity of established FIU researchers, shares successful proposals to guide early career and midlevel faculty planning to apply for funding
- Provides a decision tree for gifts, grants and other externally sponsored research activities.
The Unit works with the research community to establish interdisciplinary opportunities, and facilitates the establishment of professional interest areas (PIAs). PIAs are special interest groups created to unite faculty around a common research area, which allows them to share and exchange information and ideas, and eventually apply for multidisciplinary funding. If you are interested in establishing a PIA, please email Maureen.Pelham@fiu.edu.
Grant Preparation Support Services
- Nontechnical grant writing, project management, budget preparation, and resubmission response services are available to faculty by appointment
- Internal scientific reviews are facilitated for interested faculty
- External scientific reviews may be organized for investigators on grant proposals
For more information on Research Development, please contact Maureen.Pelham@fiu.edu or call 305-348-0485.