Boating Safety Program
Mission and Purpose
The mission of the Florida International University’s Boating Safety Program is to effectively provide training, support and oversight for the operators of small vessels used in research. As such, we must develop and implement university policy; adopt acceptable community standards for training; educate and train members in both safe and environmentally sound boating practices.
The purpose of the Boating Safety Program is to ensure that all FIU research related boating is conducted in a manner that will maximize protection of passengers from accidental injury, and to set forth standards for training and certification for FIU personnel and their affiliates.
The FIU Boating program is responsible for all FIU sanctioned research activities involving the use of small vessels. This widespread reach applies to all individuals who wish to operate any vessel used for research under the auspices of the FIU regardless of ownership. This includes all disciplines at the Florida International University along with any of the FIU affiliate groups.
The Boating Safety Office provides training to FIU research personnel involved in field and/or lab work. Training provided includes the following courses:
- Divers Alert Network (DAN+) Basic Life Support: CPR/AED and First Aid
- Divers Alert Network (DAN+) Emergency Oxygen Administration
- Divers Alert Network (DAN+) Diving Emergency Management Provider
- And advanced first aid/life support courses based on operational requirements
Policies and Procedures
All policies and procedures must be followed as outlined in the FIU Boating Safety Manual.
- Vessel Safety Checklist
- Vessel Safety Checklist – Printable Edition
- Float Plan
- Float Plan – Printable Edition
- Boating Safety Manual
*boaters are covered by workman’s comp ONLY in the performance of their assigned FIU duties*
Personnel Qualification Standards (PQS)
*only those who go through the HR volunteer/unpaid intern process are covered by workman’s comp; everyone else must have their own medical/health insurance. Guests and observers cannot do work*
- FIU Boating Application and Information Sheet
- Florida Safe Boater Courses
- Volunteer or Unpaid Intern Forms
- Volunteer Background Authorization
- Institute of Environment Waiver
- Visiting Scientists and Trainees Waiver
- All Hands Meeting (11-15-2019)
- All Hands Meeting (09-27-2022)
- Link for the recording can be requested from Boating Safety Officer
- Boating Safety Committee Meeting Minutes (02-03-2020)
- Boating Safety Committee Meeting Minutes (05-04-2021)
- Boating Safety Committee Meeting Minutes (08-19-2022)
If you have any questions regarding the Boating Safety Program, please contact the Boating Safety Officer Anne Sevon. Office: (305) 919-5228 | Cell: (215) 359-6661.